Friday, November 26, 2010

What impact has disciplining with love had on Baby A?

As we have spent the past many, many months disciplining our daughter with love, it has been amazing to see what she has taken to. My brother makes fun of me and says things like, "Baby A's life is focused around time." "Why does she go to bed at 7:30 every night?" Well, when I think about it....yeah, we use time a lot but boy it works and it eliminates many tantrums.

If you have read any of the past posts you will have read about our consistent routines, how we give many choices, and how we use time in our choices; "We can go upstairs now or in 4 min." Now that Baby A is over 2 1/2 heading to 3...she uses these choices and time limits her self! When she needs a diaper change she says, "I need a diaper change in 2 min." Or when lunch is ready she says, "I'll eat in 2 min." 2 minutes has been the number she sticks to. Does she understand the concept of time and and how long 2 min. really is? No but after I tell her 2 min. is up we change her diaper or she eats lunch without a fuss. It is so darn easy!!! Now she likes when the timer is set. When she is totally engaged in her imaginary play and I tell her it is time for lunch she says, "NO!!! 2 minutes momma, when timer goes off." So I set the timer on the stove and when it goes off, she goes right to the table to eat lunch. I don't even have to reminder her. It is truly amazing!!! She is now taking the responsibility to give herself some time limits and knows when that time is up what she needs to do.

So have we hit the "terrible twos"? Absolutely NOT!!! Do we have some tantrums? Yes! Does she yell NO if she doesn't want to do something? Yes!! But is this age terrible? NO! If you think your child is in the "terrible twos" try some new ways of disciplining and see what you find out! My husband and I are having a blast raising her and we believe every parent should have a blast raising their own children as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment