Monday, May 24, 2010

How we handled two birthday parties in one day

A week ago from this past Saturday we had two birthday parties in one day. Before I had children I used to think, wow, 2 birthday parties in one day. That is a lot of stimulation for a young child. I don't remember going to two birthday parties in one day when I was a kid. I kind of assumed that when I had kids, we wouldn't do that. And then it happened. Baby A received an invitation about a month a go for a little girl's 3rd birthday at the gymnastic center. It started at 11:30. I figured that would work. We can be there for about an hour and a half and get back for nap on time or just a few minutes late. So I RSVP'd and a couple weeks later we were invited to a friend's daughter's 2nd birthday that same day at 4:30. Bonus for me...both parties were perfectly scheduled around Baby A's nap. Obviously not for us, but it was very convenient. At first I did consider unRSVPing to the first one but then figured, there is no point as it didn't interfere with her nap. Remember, you are reading from the parents who schedule their days around Baby A's schedule 100% of the time. My second concern, pizza and cake were being served at both parties. We eat very healthy in our house. Yes, we do have sweets every now and then and pizza, but definitely not in one day. So I thought this would be interesting to see how Baby A would handle the food.

Saturday came. We were off for party number 1. All the kids got to run and play in the gymnastic center for 1 hour. They were all very good. 12:30 came and so did lunch. I was eyeing the clock quite often wondering if the kids could eat pizza and cake in a 1/2 hour because we had to leave by 1. Baby A had 2 bites of pizza, a few bites of ice cream and cake and then stopped. Good girl, she stopped when she had enough. By 1 the party was actually over and most of the parents were scurrying out of their, I'm assuming to get their kids home for nap. We followed right behind. As I pulled out of the parking lot I saw Baby A's eyes drop closed rather quickly. She was out. I kept thinking, should I try to keep her up for the 10 min. ride or just let her sleep and get her right to bed. I let her sleep even though I knew she would probably wake up when I took her out of the car. But I had faith she would go back to sleep quickly for two reasons. One, she was very tired, and secondly, she naps at the same time EVERY SINGLE DAY so it is part of her routine! We parked, I took her out of the car seat, she woke up, we went straight to her bedroom, I skipped the milk, took off her shoes and coat, changed her diaper quickly, and had to remind her it was still nap time. I sang her the songs she likes to hear before bed, put her in the crib, and she was out! Thank you for consistency and routines.

Party number 2 was at 4:30, well after she woke up, we went, she didn't eat any pizza, ate a few bites of chicken fingers, and half a cupcake. At 7:00, you guessed it, we packed her up, drove the 10 min. home and put her to bed for her 7:30 bedtime.

We had a very successful first experience with 2 birthday parties in one day. We definitely can do it again, as long as the parties work around her schedule, otherwise, we will be skipping one.

No comments:

Post a Comment